Are you searching for a truly unique and beautiful wedding destination, then look no further than having your wedding in Croatia.
If you are planning on getting married abroad and would like our hot tip, then it has to be Croatia. A mere 2.5 hour flight from the UK and Ireland, this jewel in the Adriatic has so much to offer. With its stunning beaches and islands, a wedding in Croatia makes a great alternative to getting married in the Mediterranean.
Why a Wedding in Croatia
Over the years we have seen a steady increase in the demand for Croatia as a destination wedding location and for good reason. With its exceptional beauty and varied and wide choice of venues, we’re sure that once you learn more about Croatia as a wedding destination, you’ll agree it deserves to make your short list.
Lonely Planet, the travel book publisher named Croatia the “world’s hottest travel destination”. They state that the country’s appeal is its unique combination of culture, history, cuisine, accessibility and affordability. In my mind these are all the essentials which make a great wedding abroad location.
What to Expect
Fairytale Medieval cities, warm friendly locals, magnificent food and an established destination wedding industry, together with an excellent tourism infrastructure that suits both adventurous couples and those who need a degree of comfort when planning a wedding abroad.
Where to Marry
Dubrovnik is the without a doubt the most popular wedding destination, however there is so much more on offer. With it’s outstanding natural beauty, striking coastline dotted with over 1000 islands, rich history and ancient architecture, selecting your wedding location is no easy task! To help, read our picks for the Top 10 Wedding Locations in Croatia.
Cost of a Wedding in Croatia
Obviously, prices vary from location to location, what time of year you decide to get married and your personal preferences, however the the feedback we receive is that it’s possible to get better value for money in Croatia, compared to some of the more popular European wedding destinations.
That being said, do not expect to have a full wedding for pennies! However, what comes as standard are breathtaking and luxury ceremony and reception venues (near the crystal clear sea), delicious haute cuisine, amazing wine and exceptional service!
As a guide, meals for guests range between €50 to €175 per person (including beverages), with multiple course. Some venues require an additional rental fee, which can range from €500 to €4500.
Best time of Year to have your Wedding in Croatia
Croatia has a Mediterranean climate with hot summers and mild winters. The wedding season starts in April and runs till October, with destination weddings being most popular in the warmer months.
The best months to get married in Croatia are June, September and October, when the temperature is warm, but not too hot. July and August are the busiest months for tourists and the hottest.
Good to Know
- There is no official minimum residency requirement for those wanting a civil ceremony.
- Croatian law requires a translator at all weddings for foreign citizens, make sure you factor this cost into your wedding budget.
- Civil ceremonies can take place in almost any location, provided it has approval from the Registry Office, however an extra fee is payable for all weddings held outside of the Registry Office.
- Don’t expect things to work the same way as they do in your home country. Ask as many questions as many times as you need to in order to make sure you get the answers you need.
Tips from Croatian Wedding Experts
- Pick vendors who will invest time to get to know you and become your friends through that process! This is especially important with photographers and wedding organisers. Each couple is different, and so should be their approach to you! It’s the best way to make sure they will go above and beyond when needed and that you both will come away happy and fulfilled by this cooperation – Matija Kljunak Photography
- When planning a wedding in Dubrovnik or Croatia, make sure to fly over for a few extra days and visit as long as possible. Croatia is still a hidden gem! – D’Inspiration Event & Wedding Planners
- One of the perks of having a destination wedding is the holiday that comes along with it. More often than not you and your guests will stay a minimum of a few days! With that in mind we would suggest that you have your wedding in Croatia on a weekday rather than on a weekend. Your choice of venues and vendors will be much more readily available on a weekday. Also know that many vendors offer weekday discounts on their services. – Dreamtime Events
- Did you know that Croatia has 2715 sunny hours during the year? That makes it one of the sunniest country’s in the world. The sunniest city in Croatia is the City of Hvar, doesn’t that make Croatia the most amazing choice for your wedding day and honeymoon. Open air weddings are a dream, but always be sure there is a backup plan in case of rain. – Something Blue Weddings Croatia
Our Hot Tips for Getting Married in Croatia
- Plan ahead, some of the more popular wedding venues can be booked up 12 to 18 months in advance.
- As soon as you know your wedding date, book your photographer.
- Have a welcome dinner or cocktails in a local restaurant or bar.
- Organise a boat trip to one of the islands as a post wedding day activity.
- Have a couples or post wedding day shoot in beautiful Dubrovnik. Read our insiders Guide to the Best Locations in Dubrovnik for your Photo Shoot.
- For those planning a DIY wedding, use our Wedding Abroad Planning Tool Kit to help you stay on track or book a 90 Minute Personalised Planning Consultation. We also strongly recommend that you get help with the legalities.
- Provide guests with as much information as possible. Read our Guest Information Guide, and download our Guest Information Checklist which covers everything from guests expenses, to creating personal wedding websites.
- When getting married abroad, the Grooms attire for a beach wedding or hot and humid weather can actually be quite tricky. We take a look at the options here.
- If you would like your budget to stretch that bit further then look just outside of the popular “hotspots” or consider having your wedding midweek.
Tips from Couples who Were Married in Croatia
We could give all of our guests a better time in Croatia than if we had our wedding in the UK and for a similar price. We paid for all of our guests flights and accommodation too. Ours was a completely DIY wedding, it was fun and relatively easy to plan. The biggest challenge was the paperwork and legalities. If I was doing it all over again I would get someone to help me with this – I can’t stress enough.
Real Experiences – Why Did You Choose Croatia?
We holidayed in Dubrovnik last June and instantly fell in love with the City. The unique history of the Old City, the brilliant sunshine, translucent waters and dramatic mountains, make the Dubrovnik Riviera a unique and memorable experience, making it the ideal choice for our wedding and a place which we wanted to share with our closest friends and family!
Wendy & Karl, Ireland
The two of us met and fell in love on one of the beautiful islands in Croatia and we also got engaged under one of Croatia’s perfect sunsets. We both loved the idea of a warm, central location in Europe, with kind people, fantastic food, culture and a budget that met our needs. If you want romance and great atmosphere, Croatia is the perfect place.
Vicky & Ivo, Croatia / Australia
My fiancé and I chose to have our wedding in Croatia because we wanted to marry somewhere beautiful, with a warm climate and where we’d get good value for money. Croatia fit the bill perfectly – one look at the pictures of Dubrovnik and the surrounding area was enough to convince us that we would not find anywhere else so picturesque, steeped in history and ideal for our plans, that would also fit within our budget.
Kay & Simon, United Kingdom
We had always imagined that our wedding would be overseas and for a long time thought we’d marry in Italy however that was before we visited Croatia! Croatia, and especially Dubrovnik, is like nowhere else – with its preserved medieval walls, crystal clear water and fantastic views, it offers so much more than your traditional wedding destination. Dubrovnik is a wonderfully enchanting city, it captivated both of us the moment we entered its ancient walls and I am confident that our special day will be something that our guests will remember for the rest of their lives.
Rosslyn & David, Ireland
My fiancé and I chose to have our wedding in Dubrovnik because it is the Pearl of the Adriatic and unique in every possible way. (The fact that my Mother is originally from Croatia made our decision even more ideal). The walled city is acclaimed world wide for its tremendous character and romantic charm. It is very accessible for guests to travel to and a charming place for them to visit. The whole experience is very romantic and a great way to build excitement amongst guests and wedding couple alike. It is a reasonably priced option for those wanting a magical wedding backdrop!
Catherine & Jacques, Australia / South Africa