Have your wedding in Greece
A favourite for destination weddings, Greece offers a variety of settings for a wedding abroad. It’s perfect for larger wedding parties but also popular with those wanting a more intimate affair. It’s fabulous climate and endless blue skies provide a stunning backdrop for beautiful wedding photos.
Tips From Greece Wedding Experts
- The first drink after the ceremony will be the most featured in your photographs, as you receive congratulations from your guests and the photographer circulates. Therefore, make sure to choose something in an elegant glass such as Champagne or a pretty cocktail. Lefkas Weddings
- Sure, you’re organised, you know exactly what you want, you like being in control, and you have a million friends and relatives who have promised to help. Choosing to have a professional planner for your wedding can mean the difference between an event that feels handmade and inviting and an event that feels cheap and disorganised. A professional will dedicate themselves to making sure you and your fiancé are happy, that the event will look as good in real life as it does in your head, and that no one gets lost or goes hungry. Having a DIY wedding is fun and fantastic, but a planner will allow you to be stress-free the day of your event and truly experience your wedding day. – Zante Weddings
- It is wise to book your wedding especially in Santorini a year in advance in order find the right ceremony and reception venue. Santorini is busy and although there are several venues in order to be able to get the best, you will need to keep this in mind. In Santorini you will also need to stay one business day at least after the wedding in order to register your wedding. – Marry Me in Greece
- Exquisite Kos Weddings are recognised as official translators on the Island of Kos. We offer a translation service that is much cheaper than having your documentation translated in the UK and, as the translations will be handled within Greece, this eliminates the cost of having the translation verified at the Greek Embassy afterwards. On average, a couple who have never been married before will have the standard 4 documents and expect to pay GBP 320 with our Legal and Translation Package and this includes collecting your wedding certificate and translating it for you before returning it to you in the UK. – Exquisite Kos Weddings
Our Hot Tips For Getting Married in Greece
- Plan ahead, some of the more popular wedding venues can be booked up 12 to 18 months in advance.
- As soon as you know your wedding date, book your photographer.
- Have a welcome dinner or cocktails in a local restaurant or bar.
- Organise a boat trip or brunch as a post wedding day activity.
- For those planning a DIY wedding, use our Wedding Abroad Planning Tool Kit to help you stay on track or book a 90 Minute Personalised Planning Consultation. We also strongly recommend that you get help with the legalities.
- Provide guests with as much information as possible. Read our Guest Information Guide, and download our Guest Information Checklist which covers everything from guests expenses, to creating personal wedding websites.
- When getting married abroad, the Grooms attire for a beach wedding or hot and humid weather can actually be quite tricky. We take a look at the options here.
- If you would like your budget to stretch that bit further then look just outside of the popular “hotspots” or consider having your wedding midweek.
Real Experiences – Why did you choose to marry in Greece?
“The main reason – we both love Greek food! Also, Lauren spent many family holidays in Greece and has lots of great memories of the different places she has visited with her family. We stumbled across Maxeen’s photography of Lefkada on Instagram and instantly fell in love with the scenery. The idea of getting married on a Greek island that wasn’t well known to ourselves or our family and friends felt like more of unique choice.”
“We were never keen on having a traditional British wedding as our families aren’t traditional but, it was important to us when selecting a destination wedding venue that it was close enough that the people we wanted there could be, whilst being far enough away that we wouldn’t have to invite people by obligation, as is common in a lot of UK weddings!!! We’d had wonderful holidays in Halkidiki and Crete, so Greece was special to us but no one can deny the beauty of the Ionian Islands!”
“I’m half Greek so always wanted to get married there! We fell in love with the venue, Agreco Farms. It was like everything I’d ever dreamed of so as soon as I saw it, it was a done deal. It’s traditional organic farm situated amongst olive groves and vineyards, which exudes rustic charm. Set high in the hills it offers breathtaking views over the Cretan countryside. We wanted it to be very chilled, relaxed, fun and romantic. We didn’t want anything to seem too contrived. Above all really we just wanted to celebrate our love story.”
“We wanted a unique ceremony in a breathtaking location. We both couldn’t have imagined having a big celebration so we opted for a small intimate beach wedding in Zante with just our closest family. Accessible by water and only if the sea isn’t rough, the tiny cove next to the famous Shipwreck was perfect. Its white sand and turquoise water and most importantly private and secluded location certainly provided the “wow” factor.”