Have your destination wedding in Piedmont – a wonderful “undiscovered” region in Northern Italy.
If you are looking for a beautiful and unique location for your wedding in Italy, Piedmont is region you must experience!
Barbara Gourdain from Extraordinary Weddings has helped me put together a mini guide on getting married in Piedmont. I hope the information below will be a useful starting point for planning your wedding in Italy and get you excited about this “beautiful and undiscovered” region.
- Why Choose Piedmont as Your Wedding Destination
- Real Weddings – One Couples Experience
- The Best Locations in Piedmont to Get Married
- Best Time of Year to Get Married in Piedmont
- Find a Wedding Planner in Piedmont
There is a beautiful and unique Italian province in the northwest region of Piedmont called Cuneo; nestled in a plain surrounded by alpine mountains, it is close to Turin, Milan and Monte Carlo. It features word famous wine, exceptional food and stunning and unique landscapes, making it the most incredible setting for a wedding in Italy.
Medieval towers, castles and fortresses are dotted all around the hills. Rivers, mountains, small towns and villages can be found at every turn and the views of gently rolling vine-covered hills in front of impressive alpine mountains are simply stunning.
This is a “hidden” area which attracts and enchants tourists and travellers from every corner of the world who are lucky enough to visit.
The area is further renowned for its high quality cuisine and superb local produce. It is a region of exceptional wines and wonderful products like cheese, hazelnuts, mushrooms and truffles. It is home to world famous reds such as Barolo, Barbaresco, Barbera and its hills are scattered with small producers who will happily open their doors for you to sample their produce… a true paradise for any wine connoisseur!
Piedmont has the greatest concentration of Michelin starred restaurants in Italy, as well as many traditional and innovative restaurants, trattorias and wine bars.
For Christabel and Alberto, Piedmont was a natural choice for their wedding as Alberto was born in Langhe, and they wanted to share this wonderful region of Italy with their guests who would be travelling from all over the world (China, Luxembourg, Austria, USA, UK, Belgium and Taiwan).
They celebrated their marriage in a private villa in the country, which is nestled in hills of the Dolcetto wine area.
The bride and the groom were so happy with their wedding celebrations that they wrote this to Barbara Gourdain, their wedding planner:
“We wanted to thank you for all your hard work and enthusiasm to help make our wedding day such a spectacular success. From the beautiful candlelit trees to coordinating the bigger picture, every little detail was covered and we felt, really captured and brought to life, our thoughts and ideas that we had of our special day”.
Best Locations in Piedmont
Piedmont offers many different settings for a wedding: country houses, small villages, medieval towers, castles, monasteries, farmhouses, villas, historic hotels and residences and marvellous ancient palaces.
Piedmont can give your wedding a rustic atmosphere or the most elegant and luxurious charm.
Extraordinary Weddings suggest Langhe and Roero for couples who wish to enjoy exceptional food amid stunning and unique landscapes.
Piedmont is rich in art and culture and there are many destinations within Piedmont that you and your guests can visit and discover:
- Castles: Barolo (inside the castle you can find an interesting ethnographic museum), Serralunga (for its drawbridge) and Grinzane Cavour (where once lived Camillo Benso Count of Cavour and you can find the first regional wine cellar too); not to mention the castles of Govone, Guarene, Mango, Monticello, Roddi and Magliano Alfieri, that with their gardens and beautiful panoramic views, are and remain charming and unique places.
- The city of Alba, the capital of the Langhe, that was once called the hundred towered city, a medieval town with a broad range of wonderful shops.
- Monforte d’Alba with its Auditorium, its beautiful little paths and its spectacular panoramic views.
- The city of Bra, the town in which Slow Food is based.
- Pollenzo, an old Roman town now the seat of the first Università del Gusto.
- There are also a large number of private cellars, wine producers and enoteche. The castles of Barolo and Grinzane are also open to the public and you can buy regional wines such as Barolo, Barbera and Dolcetto d’Alba.
- The small villages of the Alta Langa such as Murazzano, renowned for its goat cheese (tome di pecora).
- Saluzzo, an old town famous for its woodwork, its castle of the Manta with beautiful Gothic frescos, and the Medieval abbey of Staffarda.
- Racconigi, with the Savoia Castle with its park and the protected area for the reintroduction of the White Stork in Italy and the Anatidae project.
Langhe is less than 2-hour drive from Milan, Genoa and Turin airports.
Torino (Turin), the main city of the Region, is very close to the Langhe area and is a wonderful place with a great heritage in history and culture. This former capital of Italy has many preserved royal palaces from XVII to XIX century, monuments and art collections.
Torino has also become the most important town in Italy for contemporary art, with many galleries, shows and museums. The Egyptian Museum of Torino is considered among the greatest ancient Egyptian museums of the world, with the ones in Cairo and in London. A visit to this ancient Egyptian museum is to be considered a compulsory step for tourists and visitors.
Best Time of Year to Get Married
Weddings in Langhe are wonderful in every season.
The vintage-time with its poetical colours and perfumes and specially October with the famous truffle fest is very requested!
Spring and Summer are the most popular months to have a destination wedding in Piedmont, allowing you to enjoy an outdoor ceremony and have a marvellous reception under the ‘stars’.
It is also possible to organise beautiful weddings and events during the Winter. Extraordinary Weddings can help you find the most romantic chalet in the mountains or an enchanted Alpine village for celebrating the perfect ‘snow-wedding‘.
There’s a variety of charming mountain towns and villages in the area nearby Cuneo and Langhe, where the snow capped mountains will embrace your event. Family and friends will enjoy the opportunity of participating in some wonderful skiing and remember a very unique wedding in the Italian Alps, truly one of the highlights of Italy.
The above images are from weddings in Piedmont planned by Extraordinary Weddings
Find out More
Thinking of getting married in Italy or looking for fantastic wedding professionals to help you plan your wedding in Italy? To make things a little quicker, fill in the form below providing as much information as possible about your ideas and plans (we know you will not know everything at the moment and that’s more than okay). We will then forward your form to the relevant wedding professionals who will get in touch with you…simple and easy!